NIPE GENERAL INFORMATION
The Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers (NIPE) is the professional body empowered by its creed to promote the practice of Power Engineering in Nigeria. It is also the unified voice of Power Engineering Practitioners throughout Nigeria. The Institution is respected locally and internationally for the technical and professional capacity & competence of its Members.
The Institution is affiliated to many professional engineering bodies across the world. The Institution undertakes activities that support the competency development of her Members in order to achieve an efficient Power industry that will have the desired deliverables such as adequate, affordable, reliable and sustainable Power as it relates to national development.
NIPE is the specialized institute for the body of Engineers in the Nigerian Electric Power industry with the onerous MANDATE to professionally drive the industry. It synthesizes and articulates the knowledge of all Power Engineers for input into national development. The Institution keep Power Engineers Technically focused and provide a rallying point for Engineers and Stakeholders in the “Nigerian Power Project” towards fruitful discussions on Engineering & Management challenges therein.
NIPE was founded in 2009 but was formally established in 2016 after its affiliation with the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE). Between 2016 to date, the Institution has embarked on sensitization and membership drive throughout the country, bearing in mind that the Nigerian Electric Power Industry is presently the single largest employer of Engineers in Nigeria without a disputation (i.e. Power Distribution Companies, Power Generation Companies, Transmission Company of Nigeria, Power consulting, Contracting, Regulating, Manufacturing (Meters, Cables, Transformers, etc) and Power Marketing organisations, Energy Audits firms, etc). Within the space of time aforementioned above, it has equally established partnership, collaboration and several MoUs with key organisations, Agencies of Government and private concerns on purely professional basis using its Capability, Credibility and Competence as reference.
As at today, the Institution has established membership presence in more than Forty -Three (43) location or Chapters across the length and breadth of the Nigerian federation and the UK. These are Abuja, Ikorodu, Minna/Shiroro, New Bussa (Kainji/Jebba), Sapele, Ibadan, Osogbo, Ilorin, Benin, Ajaokuta, Ikeja, Omotoso, Abakaliki, Ikot Abasi, Uyo, Calabar, Kaduna, Kano, Port Harcourt, Akure, Sokoto, Jos, Enugu, Birni-Kebbi, Katsina, Maiduguri, Yenogoa, Yola, Makurdi, Onitsha, Asaba, Ughelli, Abeokuta, Owerri, Warri, Aba/Afam, Gombe, Bauchi, Jalingo, Dutse/Hadeja, Zaria, Lafia, Ado-Ekiti, Damaturu and London (UK), etc. Six (6) of these Chapters have been formally inaugurated while the remaining ones are undergoing the formalities of being inaugurated. The Institution has over Fifty (50) natural stakeholders to engage with in Nigeria alone.
The Institution has equally begun her new drive to mentoring the upcoming generations through the establishment of Student Unit or Cell. These Cells are Mini-Chapters domesticated at every University in Nigeria as a way of creating industry-academia platform for University Lecturers and their students with up-to-date industry information to enhance their skills. The Institution is formally registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission as a body corporate and has been dully issued with the CAC certificate No: 1667433. Equally of note, is that the Institution is in affiliation with many international professional power engineering Institutions.
Membership of NIPE is opened to all practicing engineering professionals in the power Industry who are interested and meets the requisite academic and skills competencies for such categories of Membership. Membership in the NIPE can increase its Recipients’ ability to network, tour plants and facilities, as well as be a resource in the Power Engineering industry globally.
NIPE MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY
Membership in the NIPE are categorised into Grades/Class depending on Academic qualifications and Professional Capacity & Competences exhibited by the Member in the power engineering practice. The Grades or Class of Membership are:
- Power Engineers (Members)
- Power Technologist (Associate Engineers)
- Power Engineering Technicians
- Power Engineering Craftsmen
- Power Engineering Corporate Firms
- Power Engineering Graduates (Under Mentorship)
- Power Engineering Students
WHO SHOULD JOIN NIPE
Membership may be held by:
- Persons holding a COREN/NSE/NATE Certificate recognized by the Institution.
- Persons holding a Degree, HND, ND and/or other relevant Certificates in Engineering recognized by the Institution.
- Persons holding a Nigerian Power Engineering Certificate of Competency recognized by the Institution.
- Persons engaged in the practice of Power engineering activities certified by the Institution.
- Persons enrolled in a recognized Power Engineering Academic program.
- Persons engaged in any industry allied with Power Engineering professional activity.
This includes working in a wide range of facilities such as: Electrical Power generation coy, Transmission, Distribution, Marketing, Financing, Manufacturing, Building and facility operation, Energy recovery & Audit, Power System Operations and Planning, Power economy or Costing firms, etc.
WHY JOIN THIS POWERFUL ENGINEERING INSTITUTION?
- Keep up-to-date professionally
- Increase your competence in your current position
- Learn new skills & knowledge
- Maintain & improve your existing skills & knowledge
- Increase your confidence in your profession
- Become capable, credible and competent (3Cs of our creed)
When you become a member of the Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers, you commit yourself to the dedication and high performance demanded by the profession. You immediately become a positive voice within the Institution. Your opinions are joined with others to become positive factors and influences on important matters at all levels within the Institution concerning: education, direction, and improvement. There are numerous benefits that do not easily fit into a category within any fraternal organization; but important aspects and benefits of NIPE Membership are countless.
NIPE EDUCATION & ADVANCEMENT (CPDE)
Power Engineering is a progressive occupation; a person must commence this profession at the lower classification, then, through time, experience, and education, he or she can advance to progressively higher levels of Competence, Certification and Licensing. NIPE endorses learning materials available from NIPE CEPPELERD (Training Academy), NAPTIN, and other Technical Training groups in the industry who meets the criterion. It equally undertakes a continuing Education Programme for its teeming Members.
For NIPE, competency in Professional Practice and Safety is our core business and concerns and in this wise, the Institution has begun the necessitous process to become a federally chartered professional Engineering Institution (body) to further consolidate in bring professionalism to bear in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI).
NIPE ACTIVITIES IN NIGERIAN ELECTRIC POWER INDUSTRY
- Mobilisation of its Members towards the ultimate goal of an efficient power industry
- Cooperation with industry Stakeholders and Government Agencies in the development of Training Curriculum, Skills and Practitioners’ Competency evaluation and correspondence courses in Power Engineering practice, as presented or delivered by recognized entities and education facilities.
- Representation and assistance in the continuing development of legislation in the industry, involving LGAs, States and Federal Agencies on Electric Power in Nigeria.
- Provides the opportunity for Power Engineers to associate with personnel from the Power Engineering industry worldwide,
- Bringing people and opportunities together for the exchange of knowledge and skills.
- Promote public awareness of the role played by the Power Engineers in our increasingly energy dependent economy.
- Power industry Market participants’ implementation strategies & Industry Policy Peer reviews engagement.
- Engages in submission of Technical opinion and advocacy for a sound Power Engineering culture as sin qua non.