BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP OF THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTION OF POWER ENGINEERS
Whether you are budding or practicing Power Engineering Technocrat, there are several good reasons for joining the institution. To begin with, membership is a public acknowledgement of your education, qualifications and experience. On top of that, you gain access to a lifetime’s program of continuous Professional development (CPD) to further your carrier and become part of international network of professionals. At same time, you are given the opportunity to play your part in extending the boundaries of the institution also as your key to the exciting world of Power Engineering.
The earlier you join the Institution in your Career, the sooner you can enjoy its full range of services. These will help you the support essential to achieve the Institution’s core training objectives and the right experience during your Initial professional Development (IPD) leading towards the professional examinations.
As a member, you will have full access to the excellent facilities of the institution’s library, with its records on various aspects of Power Engineering. By virtue of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed with various international professional engineering bodies, Members have access to unique collection of textbooks, Reports, UK and US Standards & Codes, over 100 Journal titles and expanding range of audio/visual materials.
As part of its roles as an erudite Society, the institution hold regular meetings, courses, seminars and conferences. These provide networking opportunity and help Members and other professional update their knowledge and understanding. Once a quarter, the National Executive Committee and NIPE Council Meetings are held to reappraise the mandate of the institution.
Finally, the institution support study Group where those interested in particular topics can meet to debate topical engineering issues. For young Engineers, the local Chapters provide an excellent opportunity to get to know Residents power Engineering practitioners, Engineering Firms and prospective Employers.
The Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers has a dual role and twin aims. Its roles are those of a learned society and as a qualifying body for the professional. Its aims are to promote the science and art of Power Engineering and the achievement of excellence in practice, and to further the education, capacity and competence of its Members.
Prospective candidates are encouraged to qualify as early as possible in their careers. To achieve this, the Institution:
- Specifies the standards of academic qualifications and IPD that candidates must attain for each class of Membership.
- Holds its own examinations for those wishing to enter the profession as corporate Power Engineers, Associate Engineers or its numerous class of Membership.
- Fosters the exchange of ideas and information.
- Defines exacting standards of professional responsibility, ethics and conduct.
- Helps members solve problems in design, erection, operations, research maintenance and management through the publication of technical reports and information. Bulletin.
- Contributes to guidance notes and codes of practice that play significant roles in the everyday works of Power Engineering practice.
- Initiates/monitors relevant legislations as they affect the practice of Power Engineering and its professionals