BENEFIT OF MEMBERSHIP OF THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTION OF POWER ENGINEERS
Whether you are budding or practicing Power Engineering Technocrat, there are several good reasons for joining the institution. To begin with, membership is a public acknowledgement of your education, qualifications and experience. On top of that, you gain access to a lifetime’s program of continuous Professional development (CPD) to further your carrier and become part of international network of professionals. At same time, you are given the opportunity to play your part in extending the boundaries of the institution also as your key to the exciting world of Power Engineering.
The earlier you join the Institution in your Career, the sooner you can enjoy its full range of services. These will help you the support essential to achieve the Institution’s core training objectives and the right experience during your Initial professional Development (IPD) leading towards the professional examinations.
As a member, you will have full access to the excellent facilities of the institution’s library, with its records on various aspects of Power Engineering. By virtue of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed with various international professional engineering bodies, Members have access to unique collection of textbooks, Reports, UK and US Standards & Codes, over 100 Journal titles and expanding range of audio/visual materials.
As part of its roles as an erudite Society, the institution hold regular meetings, courses, seminars and conferences. These provide networking opportunity and help Members and other professional update their knowledge and understanding. Once a quarter, the National Executive Committee and NIPE Council Meetings are held to reappraise the mandate of the institution.
Finally, the institution support study Group where those interested in particular topics can meet to debate topical engineering issues. For young Engineers, the local Chapters provide an excellent opportunity to get to know Residents power Engineering practitioners, Engineering Firms and prospective Employers.
The Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers has a dual role and twin aims. Its roles are those of a learned society and as a qualifying body for the professional. Its aims are to promote the science and art of Power Engineering and the achievement of excellence in practice, and to further the education, capacity and competence of its Members.
Prospective candidates are encouraged to qualify as early as possible in their careers. To achieve this, the Institution:
- Specifies the standards of academic qualifications and IPD that candidates must attain for each class of Membership.
- Holds its own examinations for those wishing to enter the profession as corporate Power Engineers, Associate Engineers or its numerous class of Membership.
- Fosters the exchange of ideas and information.
- Defines exacting standards of professional responsibility, ethics and conduct.
- Helps members solve problems in design, erection, operations, research maintenance and management through the publication of technical reports and information. Bulletin.
- Contributes to guidance notes and codes of practice that play significant roles in the everyday works of Power Engineering practice.
- Initiates/monitors relevant legislations as they affect the practice of Power Engineering and its professionals
ROUTES TO NIPE MEMBERSHIP
Membership of the Institution (NIPE) is opened to all professional engineering practitioners in the Power Industry who are interested and meets the requisite academic and skills competences for such categories of Membership.
NIPE MEMBERSHIP CATEGORISATION
Membership in the NIPE are categorised into Grades/Class depending on Academic qualifications and Professional Capacity & Competences exhibited by the Member in the Power Engineering practice. These categorisations provide prospective candidates enough information to enable them identify which grade of Membership they should apply for and what they will have to do to achieve their goals. Additional information may be obtained from the Membership Department on +23481 705 32950. The Grades or Class of Membership are:
GRADES OR CLASS OF MEMBERSHIP
There are Ten (10) main Grades or Class of membership of the Institution as already enumerated above. Each Class requires a different combination of education, professional qualifications, Capacity, Competences and Skill-sets to be admitted
Membership in the NIPE can increase its Recipients’ ability to network, tour plants and facilities, as well as be a resource in the Power Engineering industry globally. Fellow is an elevation to higher or the transfer from the Membership grade thereof. Election to fellowship of the Institution shall be either by Invitation by the Executive Council of the institution or by Direct application by Members.
The Election as a Fellow of the Institution confers the right to the title of FNIPE. The Fellowship Grade is the highest Recognition Award of the Institution or the highest membership status of the Institution. Its recipients are expected to be above board and accepted worldwide as Power Engineering Experts. The holder of the Award is acknowledged as:
- Authority on issues of Power Engineering practices
- Guru in his special area of power and an Icon in the Profession
- Authority on issues of Power Engineering practices
- Experienced beyond the neophyte level of knowledge/practice
- Respectable and Reliable technocrat in power industry
- A distinguished erudite personality in the power industry worldwide
- An accomplished professional with a repute
FELLOWSHIP BY DIRECT APPLICATION:
A person to be invited to fellowship of the institution shall normally have not less than Fifteen (15) years post Graduation experience’s in the practice of Power Engineering. In addition, he shall have met one or all of the following conditions:
- He shall have applied
- Have rendered valuable and selfless service to the institution over a period of time.
- Have been outstanding in the field of Power engineering; by outstanding is meant that such a person must be a widely acknowledge authority in the field of Power engineering.
- A person seeking fellow for the institution by application shall have had not less than fifteen (15) years experiences in the practice of Power engineering sciences. In addition, he shall met one or all the following conditions
- Submit a dissertation containing valuable statistics on Power Engineering practice in this country.
- Submit a dissertation or thesis on original solution to a practice Power Engineering problem in Nigeria.
- Submit a dissertation adjudged by council to be a worthwhile contribution to Power engineering knowledge in the country.
FELLOWSHIP INVITATION ADMISSION:
Applications for indirect entry to fellowship are normally by invitation. To qualify, you must be at least 45 and possess the academic qualifications for corporate Membership. Furthermore, you must either have made some noteworthy contribution to the practice of Power Engineering or have materially advanced from technical viewpoint. You must also occupy such an eminent position in the profession of Power Engineering that direct admission, as a fellow would, in council’s opinion, advance the interest of the institution.
CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP (POWER ENGINEER)
Election as a member of the Institution confers the right to the title of corporate Member. The candidate must be least 25 years of age and must have academic qualification(s) that is registrable with the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN). Such qualifications include B. Sc/B. Tech/B. Eng and HND (with PGD) in Electrical/Power Engineering or any other cognate qualification acceptable to COREN. In addition the candidate required to take a professional Review. This involves an interview with Senior Institution members and, if successful, the candidate may:
- Sit the chartered Membership (part 3) examination
- Have published research work assessed instead of sitting the examination one other special route to corporate Membership is available.
- By entry via Membership of Institution of Power Engineering or registration with affiliated international professional bodies.
If you are over 45 years and graduate Members with at least 15 years’ experience in appointment of increasing responsibility and if your competence is comparable to your Corporate Member contemporaries, you may apply to take the corporate Membership professional Review (interview and corporate Membership (part 3) examination).
First, your application form along with details of experience will be assessed. If these are acceptable, you will be required to take a professional Review Interview. If successful in the interview, you will be eligible to sit the corporate Membership (part 3) examination. Upon passing the examination you will be transferred to a Member and you will be entitled to be called a Corporate Member of the Institution.
Alternative Routes to Membership:
- Research and the mature candidate are available.
- Associate Members of over 45 who are able to demonstrate the IPD (Corporate Members) core objectives and evidence of CPD may apply for approval to sit the corporate Membership (Part 5) Examination.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP (Associate Engineer)
Power Engineering Technologist: There are three routes to Associate – Membership: in the first two, a minimum age limit of 23 applies. You are required to take a professional Review. This involved an interview with Senior institution members and, if successful, you may then:
- Sit for the Associate-Membership written examination.
- Have published research work assessed and accepted.
- Take the Associate-Member oral examination if you are aged 35 or above.
POWER ENGINEERING TECHNICIANS
Power Engineering Technicians are Members of the Institution who possess the National Diploma (ND) or the Advance City & Gilds certificates. These academic qualifications with the relevant skill and competences by the individual will admit him/her as a Member is this category. It is open to those aged at least 21 years.
POWER ENGINEERING CRAFTSMEN
Power Engineering Craftsmen are Members of the Institution who possess the WAEC Technical Certificates, NABTEB certificates or City & Gilds certificates with Labour Trade Text Grade I 11 & 111. These academic qualifications or their equivalents with the relevant matching skill and competences by the individual will admit him/her as a Member is this category. The technical responsibility attached to this grade of membership is duly enumerated in the Licensing criteria in collaboration with the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency (NEMSA). It is open to those aged at least 20 years.
POWER ENGINEERING CORPORATE FIRMS
The Institution has a Membership category for firms that are involved in Electric Power Engineering practice with at least Three (3) registered Members of the Institution in their service. Any Firm with a well studded power engineering workforce is granted a Firm Membership status with the Institution on the specific area (s) of “engagement”. This endorsement implies that the Institution TRUST on the company’s ability to carry out technical jobs in the NESI based on the capability and competences of the Power Engineers under its service. Such approval is done in good faith on the premise that those persons (Staff) remain active Members of the Institution and the Company. Consequently, the exit of those Engineers from the service of the Firm automatically nullifies the approval thereto. This conditions forms part of the detailed conditions and benefits that accrue to a Power Engineering firm registered as a Firm Member.
The Institution’s endorsement on the specific area (s) of “engagement” for Firms is intended to avoid incompetence. Thus, a Power Engineering Firm may be approved to carry services on one or any combinations of these categories of services as below:
- Consulting Engineering
- Engineering Contracting
- Engineering Services
- Vendor of Machinery, Equipment and Engineering Materials
- Maintenance/Repairs and Fabrication
Graduate Membership of the Institution is open to those aged at least 21 years who have satisfied the Institution’s academic requirements. As a Student Member, you can apply to transfer to Graduates Membership after obtaining an accredited degree, or equivalent. Graduates who were not Student Members must apply for direct election to Graduate Membership. Depending upon your degree and your career plans, match programmes of study, if required, will be available for you to progress to Members. If you are pursuing the route to full Membership, depending upon your qualifications, you may require to remain a Graduate Member until you pass the required examination.
Student Membership of the Institution is open to anyone over 17 years of age and studying Electrical or Power Engineering. Usually, this is will be via a Degree/HND (Higher Diploma) course in Electrical/Power Engineering leading to qualification as Graduate Member. There are no entrance fees for Students or any annual subscription for those studying for up to five years on a full-time accredited course. Those on accredited part-time study pay a reduced Student subscription.
COMPANION MEMBERSHIP GRADE
The Companion grade of the Membership was established to attract candidates in allied profession – such as Architecture, Building Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences who are interested in Power Engineering and who associate, or wish to associate, with the Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers members, but who cannot meet the rules of entry to any of the Institution membership grade. They are considered affiliated members. Although candidates for companion are normally invited to join, they may apply directly.
Any eminent Professional in the industry who shall have rendered or who may be in position to render to support to Power Engineering practitioners (Institution) and whose Membership is considered by council to be desirable in the interest of Power Engineering practice falls into this category. However, the activation of this Grade or Class of Membership will come into effect by 2025 when the Institution is expected to be fully chartered.