OBJECTIVES OF THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTION OF POWER ENGINEERS (NIPE)
The objective for which “The Nigerian Institution of Power Engineers” (hereinafter called “NIPE”) is hereby constituted are to promote the Continuing professional development and welfare of the members of the Institution, and to provide an avenue for the implementation of its statue objects as follows:
- To Provide of an enabling, centralized but common veritable platform where Engineering professionals in the Power industry can interact, frequently convoke, idealize, discuss, network and engage for cross-fertilization of Engineering Technological ideas, for the sensitization of Members on opportunities that abound in the Sector to enable them to tap into same as necessary for the course of advancing power engineering in Nigeria
- To Articulate and develop relevant programmes and partnership plans (with local & foreign firms) geared towards skills and capacity development of Engineers; Workshops, Seminar and Conferences on Power Engineering & Management activities – Distribution, Generation, consulting, Contracting, Regulatory issues, Manufacturing, Marketing, Design, Planning, Construction, Operations, Maintenance, Research & Development and Management.
- To promote and pursue research in various aspect of Power engineering science and practice and establish Partnerships and Collaborations with relevant Power research and development institutions and Agencies within Nigerian and across the world with particular reference to local conditions. Ditto with the Federal, States, Local Governments, MDAs and private sector participants in the search for a holistic solution to power industry challenges.
- To provide technical support in the development of curricular and Educational content for Tertiary institutions as a way of bringing industry input into the academia and thus produce industry-focused Power Engineers as against electrical engineering science graduates, thus promoting, encouraging and maintain a high standard of Power engineering study.
- To provide advisory & expertise services and advocacy on issues of power engineering management and to serve as a body to which the Government or other officially or un-official authority or organization in Nigeria can have recourse to, for advice, assistance or the expression of views on any subject of concern or interest on Power Engineering activities in Nigeria.
- To serve as the archive and the industry repertory of appropriate knowledge, promotion of professional competence, capability building and instituting professional credibility to all members to entrench growth and development of the Power industry.
- To articulate and development of necessary and applicable Codes of Practice and Ethical Standards for Power Engineering professionals in Nigeria and to enforcing such professional standards and ethics amongst its members in addition to advancing the interest of the Power Engineering professionals in Nigeria.
- To regularly review codes and Standards of all materials, apparatus, equipment, erection procedures and operational manuals in line with international best practices for the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry
- To facilitate the development and acquisition of technology by conducting visits to places of Power Engineering interest, citation of relevant of technical papers, meetings and conferences, the publication of textbook, manuals, peer review papers, journals, and periodicals on Power Engineering matters.
- To cause relevant policies and the review of existing ones on the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry, midwife the promulgation of a new Power Sector Reform Act that will incorporate a Nigerian Content initiative to enable practicing Engineers in Nigeria to own or at least control the Sector to bring about indigenous manufacturing, research & development and for effective management of the industry.
- To promote business relations, social activities, and mutual understanding among Power Engineers.
- To do all such other things as may be considered incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objects or any of them (Note 1-4 & 12).